[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 13 10:25:05 EDT 2010

On Oct 13, 2010, at 6:57 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Anyway, McTim, the real solution is for governments to become involved directly in bottom up policy formulation in an equal-status process, not to set up _another_ silo like the GAC that is empowered to second-guess, intervene externally or otherwise overrule the bottom up policy making process.

The Regional Internet Registries make use of this model for policy
formation, and I can say that it works quite well in the ARIN region.
We have active involvement of government agencies from across the region
who discuss the relative merits and issues with proposed policy just as
any other participants, and while sometimes government representatives
are constrained by their own processes to reading pre-prepared comments
into specific policy discussions, it still results in very informative
deliberations.

The real strength of this approach is that it leads to better understanding
and shared sense of outcome, rather than having hardened positions from
multiple groups all having to be somehow accommodated afterwards by a
"Board level" decision process.  Two additional details that have made this
multi-stakeholder-including-government approach successful is insuring that
you have an strong educational outreach to government folks to bring them
up-to-speed on the particular policies being discussed prior to the meeting,
and secondly making sure that it's clear to all that governments have their
own independent processes for determining public policy requirements, and
hence always have the freedom to create laws or regulation after the fact
if the community adopted policy doesn't meet their particular needs.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN