[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Oct 14 00:02:12 EDT 2010

On 10/13/2010 07:25 AM, John Curran wrote:

> The Regional Internet Registries make use of this model for policy
> formation, and I can say that it works quite well in the ARIN region.

The RIRs have also hit upon a core-element of success - they confine
their policy to a fairly narrow realm that has rather clear ties to
technical constraints and goals.

And as we have seen in the ARIN debates over marketplaces for IP
addresses, once we begin to move outside of that narrow, technically
grounded core area the difficulty of reaching good solutions becomes
much harder.

It has long been my sense that one of the ways we can improve our
approach to internet governance is to divide our goals so that we can
shrink wrap a narrowly tailored, tightly defined body of governance
around each one of those goals.  We would find, I assert, that in many
cases that the "governance" of an issue would be largely a clerical
matter that rarely, if ever would cause debate or concern - consider for
instance most of the protocol parameter assignments made by IANA.  There
would, of course, be a few nuggets, such as TLD policy, that would be
real hard to handle; but they would be easier to handle then the kind of
generalized, expansive policymaking that has so bedeviled ICANN.

	--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org