[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Oct 13 14:49:06 EDT 2010

> ICANN has a very interesting multistakeholder matrix design that has those
> who focus on the specific topics, the supporting organizations (SOs), operating
> horizontally across those specific topics.  And has other people focused on
> the principles that cut across all of the topics, the advisory committees (ACs),
> operating vertically across all topics.  Each of these dimensions

...are basically irrelevant as long as the Board is able to exercise unrestrained, unilateral authority

> multistakeholder composition.  In the horizontal dimension of the supporting
> organization dealing with names, the non commercial stakeholder group is
> the civil society vehicle dealing with the specific topics of names.  In the vertical
> direction, the ALAC and At-large are the group dealing with civil society
> concerns and matters of principle across all topics.

That is indeed the way it is supposed to be

> The ALAC/At-Large is not just 15 people, just as the IGC is not the 2
> coordinators.

IGC coordinators are elected by any and all IGC members. ALAC selection is not quiite so democratic.

> We can all have a rip roaring discussion about whether we like the structure
> of ALAC/At-Large and we can get into personalties if we really wanted.  But I
> strongly advise against selling the potential of the ALAC/At-Large structure short.

The At Large contains many good people and is better than nothing. And as you suggest it is a misdirection of our efforts to squabble over its structure or personalities when there are bigger fish to fry. But still, no one committed to the rights and autonomy of the individual internet user can overlook the fact that ALAC/At Large is, in a relative sense, a pathetic come-down from its original status as a true global membership with direct, democratic voting rights over the Board.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org