[governance] Draft response to MAG questionnaire

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 6 00:05:11 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 06 October 2010 07:27 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> I agree that this is very important, but perhaps can be more conveniently included in one of our next two submissions: we will shortly have one to the CSTD review of the IGF, and another on Enhanced Cooperation to UNDESA.  The MAG questionnaire doesn't directly throw up issues of the development orientation, but is more about process.

The development dimension to MAG will be that MAG takes on enough
members that represent development constituencies and marginalized
groups (becuase it is highly unlikely that the really marginalised
groups - the really poor, the most discriminated against women, the most
excluded disabled - will themselves ever be taken on the MAG). These
constituencies can only be represented through organized groups working
with and for them. I see very little, if any, representation of such
groups in the MAG, or in general in the IGF, or even more generally in
IG spaces, which is a key concern.

Also we can specifically ask that MAG that when it prepares the IGF's
agenda, and priortises issues, it should prioritise issues which
directly concern the interests of these marginalized groups, and this is
important, and mostly neglected at present, as they and those working
with them see these issues, and not from-the-top experts, often
technical experts.

I was more than a bit shocked with the kind of extra-ordinarily
interpretations that some panel speakers in the IG for development
session were giving to the concept and practise of development - things
like IG for development must be about development of the Internet
(!!!!!) , and that when we speak about development we should speak about
development in the North and the South together, in the same vein, quite
unmindful of the deep structural issues that characterise 'the
development situation' in the South. One should recognize that poverty
and development are not synonymous, and the latter refers to some
specific, through broad, historical social conditions and structures.

Parminder