[governance] eNabler

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 09:42:40 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I fully support Wolfgang's vision of an IG Web (I usually call it the
Internet Governance Network) linking all stakeholders and their various
governance frameworks through a common "governance Protocol" allowing
circulation of information upwards and downwards (also sideways of course).

The Internet has unified hundreds of thousands of heterogeneous networks
through a simple set of protocols (TCP/IP to make it simple) making them
interoperable without changing their respective architecture; the HTTP/HTML
protocols have allowed millions of heterogeneous databases to become
interoperable and form the World Wide Web, irrespective of the kind of
software or data structure they are using; likewise, I strongly believe that
the interaction modalities that we are experimenting in the IGF (and ICANN)
will ultimately allow billions of heterogeneous stakeholders/human groups to
interact in a global governance network, without having to change their
internal governance framework (every human group has some internal
governance framework, ie : modalities for decision-taking).

The replication of national and regional IGFs goes in that direction and I
expect all international organizations will progressively establish their
own MS Forums to interface with the global process. This was emerging slowly
during a discussion last week at the OECD around the notion of a Global
Forum on Broadband and the Internet Economy.

While many actors feared at first that this would come as a competition to
the IGF, it was clearly discussed as a way to provide "input" into the
annual IGF and a tool to focus OECD activities on what it is concerned most
with (the economic dimension). Still work to do but this is where I think it
is going.

The general challenge is to promote the implementation of multi-stakeholder
participatory processes as interoperability standard among heterogeneous
governance frameworks. Isn't it what the IGF mandates requests in its
paragraph 72i : *Promote and assess, on an ongoing basis, the embodiment of
WSIS principles in Internet governance processes.
*
Best

Bertrand

2010/10/2 "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>

> Lee
>
> this is the way would should move forward, linking various
> initiatives/institutions together in a network sending (political) messages
> foreward and backward. Such an "IG Web" would reflect/mirror then
> architecture of the Internet and would leave the knowledge/power/decision
> making capacity at the "edges" (with the option to enhance knowledge etc. by
> other peers).
>
> On the other hand, by reading the report from the eNabler meeting I was
> rather confused. Since UNICTTF  I feel here running in a revolving door
> missing the exit: Good intentions, (sometimes) big names, big plans, no
> money, but rather obscure realities. Anyhow it is always worth to support
> good intentions and to enable people to do things which are helping to
> implement MDG and WSIS Goals.
>
> Best wishes
>
> wolfgang
>

> ________________________________

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Délégué Spécial pour la Société de l'Information / Special Envoy for the
Information Society
Ministère des Affaires Etrangères et Européennes/ French Ministry of Foreign
and European Affairs
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")