[governance] eNabler

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Oct 2 10:32:18 EDT 2010

Hi,

If I understand the current conversation this is one of the very important thing that I believe the IGC has done, consistently promote a model where civil society in its various manifestations has a seat at the table, and in fact even has the opportunity to organize the table and provides an environement where people want to brig others into their causes have a venue to discuss and attract. Is that what we mean by enabler?  i sometimes think of the IGC as a little bbit advocacy, a little bit organizer and a lot of clearinghouse and match maker.

It is true that in recent years it has focused on the IGF, both the international forum and the many nation and regional efforts.  There have been some other efforts undertaken by IGC members in places like ICANN and the OECD, though these have been far smaller and have not involved the IGC in an organizational sense.  I personally think it would be good for the IGC to get more drawn into these other organizations organizationally once the individuals have opened the door by their individual efforts - and it is up to the leaders who have broken through in these organizations to bring the rest of us along - if they can.  We also have members of this group who are becoming active in the RIR scene like ARIN and RIPE.  Perhaps at some point the IGC can offer some support to their efforts, if we care and if they try to recruit us.

In terms of the ICT efforts, I have often looked at these, especially from the vantage point as a person who develops  (or tries to develop) solutions for ICT4D, and not understood what good they were doing, or what a governance oriented organization could offer to these efforts.  The understanding of what governance has to offer to ICT4D is just beginning to grow, and that is due to efforts of members from the IGC, especially people like Bill Drake, who have been trying to bring these issues center stage for a while by organizing meetings and creating opportunities for people to speak.  Would be good to see people get behind this.

Next week we get the ITU plenipot.  We mostly acknowledge  that there should be more of an effort to get the ITU to accept a civil society presence/voice, and there even been suggestions of things the IGC could do, like try to become affiliate members, but we have never followed through (i am personally interested in this if anyone else wants to work on it).  I wonder how many individuals from the IGC are there on their own this week.  I wonder if there is something we can still do remotely to try and have some impact on what happens there.  Probably too late  but still - statement can always be made in the public sphere and blogs can always be written.  At least we have had Wolfgang and others to keep us informed and to work on building our capacity until hopefully someday we learn why and how to involve ourselves.

The IGC has grown in both scope and stature partly because of the leadership of our coordinators over the last few years.  It is slow, but I believe t is steady.  We have seen in the congratulations to Ginger about how much she has done in various areas, e.g. remote participation, to raise the level of participation.

This group is first and foremost a catalyst, and I must say, whether through the efforts of individuals who sometimes get support and sometimes don't, or through group actions, it changes the efforts it gets involved in.  Yes, it needs to do more and yes we desperately need more active members who take initiatives and bring others, including sometime the whole group together.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org