AW: [governance] Consensus Call for CSTD IGF Questionnaire -

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Nov 20 07:59:10 EST 2010

In message
<93F4C2F3D19A03439EAC16D47C591DDE0330006E75 at suex07-mbx-08.ad.syr.edu>,
at 15:40:15 on Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu>
writes
>Ok, rub it in....
>
>But yeah pre-CSISAC, you might be invited in by OECD as a cs expert to
>participate in or contribute to a specific topic, with the
>blessing/backing of your home country, but all other docs and topics
>would generally be off-limits -since your expertise just granted you
>special dispensation to contribute to that topic.  Even if you were
>invited to show up at the meeting, docs on other topics were not for
>you. And certainly not the drafts.
>
>Unless you repped the biz community, or labor, they had seats at the
>table with the big boys.
>
> Ok actually they have cheap seats too since only governments sit at
>the grownups table, but at least they were invited regularly into room.
>OK now I am being too kind, the biz community gets its special welcome
>like one might expect, and might participate in drafting.

I agree that the business community is more thoroughly represented, but
that's also because they have more resources to set up the "collective
groupings" I mentioned earlier, and because they've been doing it
longer. The resources issue also affects whether you can pay attention
to everything a body is doing, or just get inside the handful of
documents that you've been asked to help with.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org