AW: [governance] Consensus Call for CSTD IGF Questionnaire -

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Fri Nov 19 15:14:27 EST 2010

Echoing McTim,  more fiber = cheaper bandwidth, which is good. Africa with 500m mobile subscribers..can use the bandwidth I suspect.

In Caribbean case, encouraging the laying of several new fibers through region was a major outcome from the Caribbean Internet Forum meetings, so real tangible outcomes enabling development can come from regional meetings.

On other hand if not multistakeholder, they can just be a bunch of talking heads with little impact, so I wouldn't assume either is case without knowing specifics.

And while we debate whether COE or UN should consider 'frameworks' or 'principles' for Internet gpvernance, Caribbean multistakeholders came up with an open Internet framework several years ago...although final drafting was too intergovernmental for my taste I admit.

Still, main point is regional meetings are fine in principle but  can be done well or poorly in practice.  Kind of like...anything else.

Last, with regard to OECD, which I haven't been able to participate much in but did participate in the opening to CS: since the door was open I and others through it worthwhile to open further. formally. To further principle and precedent.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled global programming...

Lee