AW: [governance] Consensus Call for CSTD IGF Questionnaire -

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 14:52:20 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Jean-Louis FULLSACK <jlfullsack at orange.fr>
wrote:

> And what are 12 submarine cables along the African coasts doing for
> exchanging coms in Central Africa for instance ? Who is caring about that
> waste of money (some 7 billions dollars) ?

Landing those cables is a big step, it took many years.  Once coastal
connectivity is established, inland fiber comes quite quickly due to
commercial pressure.

Why is it a waste of money? It's mostly international investors who believe
they will get a return. I doubt they see this as "waste".

There are 15 cables that land in the NYC metro area, Shouldn't Africa's
Billion people have the same access as New Yorkers?

> We aren't far from Internet governance when we are speaking of such issues
:
> for Internet to be "governed" correctly it first of all needs to be
> implemented ! I.e. there must be relevant traffic nodes (exchanges, GIX,
> PoP, ...) and a resilient network for interconnecting them on the
continent

These are being built (and in some cases operational).

> ! In Africa, IG is first of all about the topology of the continental
> backbone, i.e. the location of IXPs, GIXes and PoPs for holding the "
> domestic African" traffic wthin the continent and useing the shortest or
> most economical links.

Without the cables you decry, the shortest and cheapest route would often be
overseas and back.

 This topology needs a relevant Internet architecture
> : here IG is to be at work ! Moreover, the insertion of Africa in the
> international traffic flow needs selected landing stations (and satellite
> hubs) to be the gateway stations to the global optical fiber routes that
> really connects Africa to the World.

We have these.

--
Cheers,