[governance] CSTD questionnaire

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 14:56:08 EST 2010

Hi Milton,

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> FYI, here is my response to Question #3 on the CSTD questionnaire:
>

> 3.       Which, if any, new mechanisms would you propose to improve the
> impact of the IGF discussions, in particular as regards the interaction
> between the IGF and other stakeholders? Please specify the kind of mechanism
> (e.g. reporting, exchanges, recommendations, concrete advice, etc.)  and the
> stakeholders (e.g. intergovernmental bodies, other fora dealing with
> Internet Governance, etc.).
>

> a)      IGF should be able to make recommendations. Of course they will be
> nonbinding, but unless IGF serves as a focal point for developing common
> positions it will become irrelevant.
>
> b)      It should take on a bigger role in providing an accountability
> review of ICANN and other international organizations involved in internet
> governance

I would say that it cannot take this role until it is at least as
open, transparent,
etc as the folk the IGF would review.

> c)       Its Secretariat and MAG should be strongly encouraged to directly
> foster discussion and debate of difficult issues in main sessions, instead
> of avoiding them.
>
> d)      IGF workshops and discussions must focus exclusively on public
> policy issues and debates, and not be an educational forum where the
> technical community explains how to implement internet technologies

I've never seen any in-depth discussion of HOWTOs at IGF by the Interent
Eco-System folk or anyone else.  If they did, IGF attendees would have a
better grasp of the issues at hand IMO.

 or
> projects the future of internet technologies. There are many industry and
> academic conferences that do a much better job of that.

yes, but the IGF attendees don't typically go to those.  If they did,
they would
have more clue!

--
Cheers,