[governance] CSTD questionnaire

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 14:25:52 EST 2010

Dear Milton Mueller,

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> FYI, here is my response to Question #3 on the CSTD questionnaire:
>

> 3.       Which, if any, new mechanisms would you propose to improve the
> impact of the IGF discussions, in particular as regards the interaction
> between the IGF and other stakeholders? Please specify the kind of mechanism
> (e.g. reporting, exchanges, recommendations, concrete advice, etc.)  and the
> stakeholders (e.g. intergovernmental bodies, other fora dealing with
> Internet Governance, etc.).
>

> a)      IGF should be able to make recommendations. Of course they will be
> nonbinding, but unless IGF serves as a focal point for developing common
> positions it will become irrelevant.

It would sound positive if this is reworded as "IGF should progress towards
becoming a focal point of developing common positions and make informed,
well considered recommendations [to Governments, inter-governmental bodies,
to non-commercial and commercial organizations directly involved in the
operation of Internet]

> b)      It should take on a bigger role in providing an accountability
> review of ICANN and other international organizations involved in internet
> governance

Interesting thought. It is really not a bad idea to take up this role, but
if this role is taken up, the IGF shouldn't review only those organizations
that are open to public comments and conveniently exclude those that are
closed bodies.

   - How would the IGF review closed organizations with aspirations to get
   disproportionately involved in Internet Governance?

   - How would it review Government Departments and Governments involved in
   Internet Governance, the same way organizations involved in Internet
   Governance are reviewed by the IGF?

Comment on those who are open to comments and ignore all the harm by who may
ignore comments?

> c)       Its Secretariat and MAG should be strongly encouraged to directly
> foster discussion and debate of difficult issues in main sessions, instead
> of avoiding them.

+1. Main session programs are drawn up by the MAG. If the ideas for main
sessions, as they progress, are placed open for comments by the larger IGF
community, main sessions could be designed better.

> d)      IGF workshops and discussions must focus exclusively on public
> policy issues and debates, and not be an educational forum where the
> technical community explains how to implement internet technologies or
> projects the future of internet technologies. There are many industry and
> academic conferences that do a much better job of that.

I like George Sadowsky's comments on this point.

Sivasubramanian M

http://www.isocmadras.com
facebook: http://is.gd/x8Sh
LinkedIn: http://is.gd/x8U6