[governance] FINAL? DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Nov 11 11:26:26 EST 2010

With some trepidation, because there hasn't been a proper chance to discuss this, I've added a reference to the OECD in the version that I'm now putting to a consensus call (but without deleting the other options).  I can't delay the consensus call any longer, because I'm leaving on an overseas flight tomorrow.

On 12/11/2010, at 12:03 AM, parminder wrote:

> Jeremy
>
> I suggest we remove all the (4) options in our draft statement vis a vis institutional developments under the Enhanced Cooperation rubric (because I dont see how we can recommend that such new institutional development  is optional) and put in which to me is a very fair and specific recommendation
>
> The IGC strongly recommends that the existing institutional framework within the OECD (we can name the Information, Computer and Communication Policy Committee) (and also CoE?) designed to help develop Internet public policies be taken as a model and similar institutional framework be developed for globally applicable Internet related public policies (Tunis Agenda) under the UN, with participation of all countries and stakeholders. This new 'body' will examine all critical Internet policy related areas, develop policy frameworks, give detailed policy recommendations, and help negotiate treaties etc in different areas of Internet policies.
>
> What is good for the OECD must certainly be good for the whole world.
>
> A very large number of the people discussing this issue on the IGC list are engaged with this OECD institutional framework, therefore I cannot see  why this new proposal for inclusion in the draft should not be acceptable to them .
>
> Parminder

Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator
Consumers International
Kuala Lumpur Office for Asia Pacific and the Middle East
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.