[governance] FINAL? DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Nov 11 11:22:05 EST 2010

Hi,

Wading in.

1st re OECD: I agree it is way more important than commonly recognized, partly because they keep a relatively low profile as 'the rich countries club' as as an early/long-range policy formulation and discussion shop.  mainly working on other parts of the world economy.

2nd re why OECD doesn't open up membership further: basically it comes down to getting things done, which is hard enough with 30 member states and as we all know very slow, cumbersome and difficult if reconciling 200+ national viewpoints.

3rd Parminder is completely correct to point out that policies affecting the Internet have originated - or have been facilitated - by OECD efforts.  For example when seeking to reform ICANN's closed/arbitrary (ie opposite of 'open transparent and accountable') procedures for gTLDs last decade, I didn't waste a lot of time at ICANN meetings, instead I sought to appear before OECD's ICCP and ask them to study the issue. Which they did and followed with recommendations that ICANN become - more open transparent and accountable in its policymaking processes. So if you're unhappy with gTLDs being for sale, it is (partly) my, Milton's and OECD's fault.

4th Parminder's question on why it is ok for CS folks to be happy that they wedged open a little the OECD processes to include a Civil Society Information Society Advisory Committee - great question.  I'm happy because it is progress, one institution at a time - even if frankly the time and cost burden on cs in participating means that I personally haven't been able to participate actively or attend any meetings these past few years.  But it is a step in the right direction.  And the CS orgs which have carried the load I believe have done a good job at representing broader CS, partly or especially because - they know that broader CS will not be invited regularly into this club.

As for where developing countries might seek instead to gather and engage in similar activities, great question especially at this G-20 summit time.  In general the G-20 shares the OECD characteristic of being small enough in membership to be manageable within its scope; it also shares the OECD's characteristic of being an exclusive club, one of great importance to the world economy.  The BRICs have their seats of power at this table; but rest of world....is not invited.

So re-creating an OECD-like public policy discussion forum is no small task and requires a small and very smart core staff to do the work which member countries have to pay for.  I don;t see the political will or $ for that.  I do see a number of UN-related entities like UNCTAD, ITU-D, UN-GAID, which probably think that is what they are doing but not at least in my view with the impact of OECD.  Note OECD makes recommendations and is quite explicit in favor of democratically elected governments, and open markets. In fact if you don't practice both you need not apply. Actually noone should apply since they aren't accepting new members.  But note OECD does try to share data and work results freely, their website is a treasure trove.

Returning to EC statement and IGF's evolution, what I oppose is folks claiming we live in the best of all possible IG worlds now and who fear all changes....some of whom are same folks who resisted for years discussions of complete no-brainer topics like discussing Critical Internet Resources at IGF.

So personally I am strongly sympathetic to Parminder's core point - at least in my view - of enhanced cooperation needing to be really and truly engaged at this time , without assuming CS must be as diplomatically polite as other groups at the table, because we are not.

Lee