[governance] FINAL? DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 08:49:19 EST 2010

Dear Parminder,

I could never follow the process in OECD as close as it deserved, but your
e-mail has really caught my attention.
I would like to learn more about this arrangement in OECD. Could you (or
anyone else on the list) please share some resources?

Thank you.
MarĂ­lia

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 9:25 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am still not able to understand how so many of those who are against any
> new institutional framework for evolving global IG related public policies,
> which is democratic in inclusion of all countries and stakeholders,  have
> enthusiastically supported a similar framework among OECD countries? I mean
> the OECD's Committee For Information, Computer and Communication Policy,
> which has a very active portfolio for helping develop Internet policies, esp
> those with trans-border ramification. Many CS members in the IGC have
> actively organized themselves to associate with the work of this OECD's
> institutional framework.
>
> Why should such a framework not exist at a global level? And I do think
> that OECD's framework is not multistakeholder enough. My proposal is for a
> global framework of similar kind (to OECD's) that will help develop globally
> applicable Internet related public policies, which is what the 'enhanced
> cooperation' process is about, that is much more multistakeholder than the
> existing OECD one
>
> I request a specific response for those who have supported the OECD
> framework rather enthusiastically, and this includes most here on the IGC
> list who now oppose similar new institutional developments at the global
> level , how do they justify this opposition now, for a similar global
> institutional framework.
>
> Unfortunately, many developing country IGC members here have gone along
> with this opposition to a global UN anchored body, which can be  no
> different from the OECD arrangement. I am able to unserstand thier stanc
> eeven more.
>
> Should we depend on OECD to make global Internet policies. That is what is
> being said in this support for a OECD framework but opposition to a similar
> global framework one, for addressing the urgent need for global Interent
> related public policies. .
>
> For this reason I cannot support the present draft statement. But if
> someone can give me some justification clarifying the above paradox, I am
> very much willing to listen.
>
> Parminder

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio