[governance] FINAL? DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Nov 11 06:25:30 EST 2010

Hi All

I am still not able to understand how so many of those who are against
any new institutional framework for evolving global IG related public
policies, which is democratic in inclusion of all countries and
stakeholders,  have enthusiastically supported a similar framework among
OECD countries? I mean the OECD's Committee For Information, Computer
and Communication Policy, which has a very active portfolio for helping
develop Internet policies, esp those with trans-border ramification.
Many CS members in the IGC have actively organized themselves to
associate with the work of this OECD's institutional framework.

Why should such a framework not exist at a global level? And I do think
that OECD's framework is not multistakeholder enough. My proposal is for
a global framework of similar kind (to OECD's) that will help develop
globally applicable Internet related public policies, which is what the
'enhanced cooperation' process is about, that is much more
multistakeholder than the existing OECD one

I request a specific response for those who have supported the OECD
framework rather enthusiastically, and this includes most here on the
IGC list who now oppose similar new institutional developments at the
global level , how do they justify this opposition now, for a similar
global institutional framework.

Unfortunately, many developing country IGC members here have gone along
with this opposition to a global UN anchored body, which can be  no
different from the OECD arrangement. I am able to unserstand thier stanc
eeven more.

Should we depend on OECD to make global Internet policies. That is what
is being said in this support for a OECD framework but opposition to a
similar global framework one, for addressing the urgent need for global
Interent related public policies. .

For this reason I cannot support the present draft statement. But if
someone can give me some justification clarifying the above paradox, I
am very much willing to listen.

Parminder