[governance] FINAL? DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 18:24:27 EST 2010

I support the statement and I particularly liked the suggestion made by Avri
(open, accountable instead of multilateral) and by Milton on the exclusion
of “in their respective roles”.

Regarding the reference made to ACTA, I don´t think we are implying that the
effective respect for these principles (openness, transparency,
accountability, etc) will stop forum shifting. The way I understand, we are
simply calling attention to the fact that these principles have been
disregarded in other regimes/debates and that a clear message should be sent
against this disrespect, by reaffirming these principles and making them the
base of our arrangements.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> Katitza is right. We will not stop powerful national governments from
> pursuing their interests through smaller "clubs" of like-minded states by
> creating new, overarching governance institutions -- unless you are
> proposing that these new institutions subordinate existing states to their
> authority - an idea that might be appealing in abstract terms, but would
> require a (literally) revolutionary groundswell of global popular support to
> have any effect.
> --MM
> From: Katitza Rodriguez [katitza at eff.org]
>
> I have trouble understanding Parminder's opinion. While I agree with this
> phrase (quote below), I do not understand why he thinks that by having this
> new global policy setting, Bilateral agreements (US FTAs - other countries),
> ACTA, etc will stop from happening. Better to said: Why creating a new
>  global policy setting with binding recommendations will avoid / stop those
> agreements to happen.  The United States start using this strategy when they
> failed to incorporate some of these proposals through WIPO, so they end up
> adding those proposals through the bilateral or multi lateral agreements
> (which of course, we object).
>
> "It is now especially critical that the global community give renewed
> attention to these principles, at a time when we see danger of them being
> forgotten - for example, in that a proposed Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
> Agreement that will affect Internet users around the world (including the
> most marginalized), has been shaped almost entirely by powerful corporate
> and state actors from the global North."

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center for Technology and Society
Getulio Vargas Foundation