[governance] FINAL? DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Nov 10 15:59:26 EST 2010

Katitza is right. We will not stop powerful national governments from pursuing their interests through smaller "clubs" of like-minded states by creating new, overarching governance institutions -- unless you are proposing that these new institutions subordinate existing states to their authority - an idea that might be appealing in abstract terms, but would require a (literally) revolutionary groundswell of global popular support to have any effect.
--MM
From: Katitza Rodriguez [katitza at eff.org]

I have trouble understanding Parminder's opinion. While I agree with this phrase (quote below), I do not understand why he thinks that by having this new global policy setting, Bilateral agreements (US FTAs - other countries), ACTA, etc will stop from happening. Better to said: Why creating a new  global policy setting with binding recommendations will avoid / stop those agreements to happen.  The United States start using this strategy when they failed to incorporate some of these proposals through WIPO, so they end up adding those proposals through the bilateral or multi lateral agreements (which of course, we object).

"It is now especially critical that the global community give renewed attention to these principles, at a time when we see danger of them being forgotten - for example, in that a proposed Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement that will affect Internet users around the world (including the most marginalized), has been shaped almost entirely by powerful corporate and state actors from the global North."

     governance at lists.cpsr.org