[governance] Very neutral statement on enhanced cooperation

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Nov 3 01:20:25 EDT 2010

On 03/11/2010, at 8:19 AM, JFC Morfin wrote:

> Actually, your document is clear, comprehensive, and matter of fact, but I am afraid it is not neutral. The reason that is the case is that currently the focus is on "enhanced cooperation", while it should rather be on "public".
>
> A.  To better understand my point, let us take the European definition of "enhanced cooperation" per the Lisbon Treaty: http://europa.eu/scadplus/glossary/enhanced_cooperation_en.htm.
>
> This definition (also mutually adopted by governments) definitely conflicts with the Tunis Agenda.

I don't think that the definitions can be reconciled; they are talking about two entirely different processes.  Whilst it is not entirely coincidental that they use the same term, there is not much that we can learn from the European Community experience.  Just like "open access" means completely different things depending on whether you are talking about content or infrastructure.

I read your interesting email several times, but I'm still not sure exactly what you think we should add to, or change in, the draft statement to cover the points you raise.  Maybe I'm just being dense, but I think if you could restate your proposals much more concisely (like, in a few lines at most) it would make it easier for others to digest them and respond.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.