[governance] Very neutral statement on enhanced cooperation

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Nov 2 21:19:35 EDT 2010

Dear Jeremy,

Actually, your document is clear, comprehensive, and matter of fact,
but I am afraid it is not neutral. The reason that is the case is
that currently the focus is on "enhanced cooperation", while it
should rather be on "public".

A.  To better understand my point, let us take the European
definition of "enhanced cooperation" per the Lisbon Treaty:
<http://europa.eu/scadplus/glossary/enhanced_cooperation_en.htm>http://europa.eu/scadplus/glossary/enhanced_cooperation_en.htm.

This definition (also mutually adopted by governments) definitely
conflicts with the Tunis Agenda.

Merging them clarifies the issue:
- The European definition states that some countries can enhance
their cooperation on a case by case basis
- The Tunis definition states that governments are to be on equal footing.

This can only be conciliated if one only selects those cases where
all governments are on equal footing.

1) Tunis identified two such areas:
- your narrow issue of internationalizing the oversight of the
Internet naming and numbering functions
- art. 71: to be responsive to innovation (i.e. supposedly identified
emerging enhancements).

2) and it determined what an enhanced cooperation should bring to
governments in these areas: a better understanding and definition of
globally-applicable principles on public policy issues that are
associated with the coordination and management of critical Internet
resources (Art. 70).

B.  This shows that all of this was understandable in the Tunis
initial context but that it is meaningless because it is incoherent
with the desired innovation, i.e. the enhancement of the world
digital ecosystem that supports what is to be a societal evolution.
- WSIS is about information society, and enhanced cooperation is
about its public issues (dynamic into the future)
- What is defined hereinabove regards the Internet and governments
(stability from the past).

The emergence of innovation that the IGF has more or less reported
makes "enhanced cooperation over the world digital ecosystem network
public issues" different from "governments' deeper views on the
Internet". This is why "enhanced cooperation must encompass all
Internet-related public policy issues" was fully acceptable in an
ICANN/ISOC/IETF pre-WSIS GAC meeting, but then becomes biased towards
a political and technological status quo in a today's civil-society statement.

C.  We, therefore, must start questioning every involved topic:

- what is the world digital ecosystem (WDE) that the WSIS has enlightened?
- what is the WDE network (WDEN)?
- what are the WDEN related "public issues"?
- from the identification of these "public issues", what are the
regalian digital functions?
- how better can these regalian digital functions be cooperated?
- how can this be applied to particular cases, such as the Internet?
The IETF mission is to influence those who design, use, and manage
the Internet for it to work better. How will a better cooperated
regalian digital function participate in the Internet enhancement?
What is to be the role that is to be acknowledged to civil society in
this process? (I note that in this particular Internet example, the
non-Tunis identified and the prevalent Internet users' community
entered the IETF process through a young but formalized and quite
active IUCG [Internet Users Contributing Group], and maintains a
civil society related section
(http://iucg.org/wiki/Translating_Civil_Society_preocupations).

D.  The reason why I think this issue is a major one and must
seriously be addressed is that what is at stake is the replacement of
the "modern State" that we inherited from the book and that we now
adapt to the digital network context. In particular, experience shows
(GAC at ICANN) that enhanced cooperation has to be reached by
specialized points of enhanced cooperation, or enhanced
cooperations  (as organizations) on specialized topics, in turn
structurally completing the thematic dynamic coalitions.

The only existing one that we can observe is precisely the
ICANN/GAC/ISOC/IETF/IANA enhanced cooperation. The consideration of
this enhanced cooperation structure, which is not prepared to face
the emergence of innovation in the use of the Internet (naming,
presentation layer, addressing, IPv6, etc.), shows that the digital
community requires a better understanding of what the World Digital
Ecosystem Network is and what its critical resources truly are. This
also questions the IGF as an observatory of the emergence of digital
evolution, and the lack of a technical evolution matching process by
a missing World Digital Ecosystem Governance.

This has to be clearly reported to the UN General Secretary for the
upcoming governmental UNDEP consultation on enhanced cooperation.
IMHO, this also calls for a third WSIS meeting, in a few years time,
when governments have, individually and in cooperation, assimilated
and validated the points described hereinabove.

Regards.
jfc