[governance] ICANN declined Bulgarian IDN fast-track

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun May 30 18:17:58 EDT 2010

At 19:50 30/05/2010, Avri Doria wrote:

>On 30 May 2010, at 12:28, JFC Morfin wrote:
>
> > could you please quote the reference of such technical and policy rules?
>
>for this i am relying on the ICANN:
>
>http://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/fast-track/idn-cctld-implementation-plan-16nov09-en.pdf
>http://www.icann.org/topics/idn/idn-guidelines-26apr07.pdf
>http://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/fast-track/idna-protocol-en.htm
>
>and on the gTLD side:
>http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/draft-rfp-clean-04oct09-en.pdf

These are not Internet, they are ICANN. This means there are no
technical but pure political blabla, not endorsed by any open
structure nor user representation.

>and on the IETF side the plethora of RFCs and soon to be RFCs

These are the serious stuff I was looking for. There currently are
only four documents that might become RFCs (IDNA2008) and possible
deliveries of WG/NEWPREP, WORKON/IDNA2010 and  WG/IDNABIS if it
resumes its work with a new charter. Every other will be obsoleted by those.

In anycase I may be wrong, but I do not see how an Internet RFC could
discriminate on the script basis, except RFC 4647 (and this has
nothing to do with IDNs). This is because I do not see where the
script information would come from?

> > To my knowledge at this architectural stage there is
> _no_  technical rule that may legitimate _any_ policy rule.
>
>A longer issue.  Technical does not legitimate policy.  The relation
>is much more complicated than that. There is an interplay and a give
>and take between the definitions of what is possible (technical) and
>what is allowed (policy).  This is one of my favorite academic
>discussions, but this is neither the place nor the time.

hmmm... then I would be interested to know where you discuss it,
because this certainly is a key issue in the coming negociation or
conflict. Please not that I did not say it would justify, but that it
might legitimate. This is because, as you know it if you want to
allow something you must be in a position to forbide it. Something
ICANN is not in a position to do, due to the interplay and give and
take game between cons and pros to disobey/disregard ICANN for ccTLD
and ULD/UTLDs (Users (top) level domains).

Actually time is changing. Open roots were the side-ICANN/IANA
exception. Rigid ICANN TLDs are going to be the exception. This means
that the ICANN DNS zones are going to deliver more to stay in
business. ICANN was supposed to foster competition. They tried to
fool the community in creating registrars, etc. within their supposed
market monopoly based on their IANA centralised control. For years,
industry has tried to gain control on IANA. They now have all the DoS
tools for that in using languages. But at the same time they see that
a blunt action could lead to a large grassroot trend, moving away
from the IANA concept. So, it is wait and see.

> > As I documented it in my last post: this work is ahead. It takes
> time and to get that time and necessary indications I use, as
> documented a long ago, an appeal procedure to protect all of us
> from the too nimble ICANN.
>
>And in this I am not brave enough to venture in the middle of your
>discussions with the IETF/IESG/IAB on these issues. I watch them
>with great fascination, but would not dare tread in the middle of th
>I am challenged sufficiently dealing with the issue from a
>descriptive basis - what has been laid out by ICANN & IETF and
>dealing with exegesis within those confines.

This is exactly what I do. But I do not care about what ICANN may
have done for two good reasons.

1) this is obsoleted by IETF decisions and we need to know more from
IETF (i.e. IAB) to understand up to which point IETF will follow and
where Users have to take over.
2) ICANN propositions could be of interest (experience went into it)
but in closed groups, confusing closeness and exclusive. No ICANN
decision can have any legitimacy on third parties.

> > Rod Beckstrom's bullish political introduction of FAST TRACK
> conflicts with that calendar. It will necessarily lead to conflicts
> among and between Users and ICANN, probably initially ruled by
> industry (that depends on the date ML-DNS is operationnaly supported).
>
>While there are lots of negative things I am willing to pin on Rod,
>this absolute priority for getting IDN ccTLDs out now if not 2 years
>ago, predated him and I expect there was little he could have done
>to stem that inexorable rush to the root.

Let be candid: the 1983 root is no more.

It has evolved both in its real own operations and in its quite
different use. ICANN was right in ICP-3. We ran and reported (French)
a two years community test-bed along ICP-3 recommendations. FAST
TRACK was a good idea along these lines (actually ICP-3 suggested the
IETF to run the test-bed and IETF was never able/interested: ICANN
runs FAST TRACK itself). However, FAST TRACK does not respect ICP-3
requisites. I am afraid that Rod has not been explained enough to
fully comprehend why his IDNA annoucements are good for ICANN and bad
for the network. This is my concern: because he is obviously not told
when/how to use his political advantage to best influence/negociate
before it becomes a lack of credibility disadvantage.

ICANN does exist. Many people and interests need it to survive. Rod
makes many to believe there is a common interest in ICANN survival:
at some stage he will not be credible anymore due to the
architectural and usage evolution those many will perceive (no idea
when this can be - depends on how people/press will perceive it).
Before he reach that time he must have negociated the ICANN survival
outside of the DNSSEC dream (dream because DNS (better) security
without DNSSEC might be the by then "no-ICANN killing app").

As far as I am concerned I cannot do more than I do to warn people
than I am dangerous and to try to help against the revolution I read
in the Internet architecture from its inception. During years no one
cared. I have no idea when they change their mind. But since
eventually IESG has approved my reading on a fundamental point, this
may accelerate the understanding.

Best.
jfc

     governance at lists.cpsr.org