[governance] ICANN declined Bulgarian IDN fast-track

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun May 30 13:50:37 EDT 2010

On 30 May 2010, at 12:28, JFC Morfin wrote:

> could you please quote the reference of such technical and policy rules?

for this i am relying on the ICANN:

http://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/fast-track/idn-cctld-implementation-plan-16nov09-en.pdf
http://www.icann.org/topics/idn/idn-guidelines-26apr07.pdf
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/fast-track/idna-protocol-en.htm

and on the gTLD side:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/draft-rfp-clean-04oct09-en.pdf

and on the IETF side the plethora of RFCs and soon to be RFCs

> To my knowledge at this architectural stage there is _no_  technical rule that may legitimate _any_ policy rule.

A longer issue.  Technical does not legitimate policy.  The relation is much more complicated than that. There is an interplay and a give and take between the definitions of what is possible (technical) and what is allowed (policy).  This is one of my favorite academic discussions, but this is neither the place nor the time.

> As I documented it in my last post: this work is ahead. It takes time and to get that time and necessary indications I use, as documented a long ago, an appeal procedure to protect all of us from the too nimble ICANN.

And in this I am not brave enough to venture in the middle of your discussions with the IETF/IESG/IAB on these issues. I watch them with great fascination, but would not dare tread in the middle of them.

I am challenged sufficiently dealing with the issue from a descriptive basis - what has been laid out by ICANN & IETF and dealing with exegesis within those confines.

> Rod Beckstrom's bullish political introduction of FAST TRACK conflicts with that calendar. It will necessarily lead to conflicts among and between Users and ICANN, probably initially ruled by industry (that depends on the date ML-DNS is operationnaly supported).

While there are lots of negative things I am willing to pin on Rod, this absolute priority for getting IDN ccTLDs out now if not 2 years ago, predated him and I expect there was little he could have done to stem that inexorable rush to the root.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org