[governance] ICANN declined Bulgarian IDN fast-track

krum.jonev at dir.bg krum.jonev at dir.bg
Sun May 30 05:39:41 EDT 2010

Dear Mr. Kleinwächter,

People in Bulgaria want to see the government reaction - they dont
want them to be passive and give up without at least an attempt for
appeal. As an example is cited the denial of the European Central Bank
to agree that the Bulgarian Euro banknotes to be known as ЕВРО (EVRO)
as it should be in Bulgarian, and not as ЕУРО (EURO). After an appeal,
the ECB agreed that the text will be like the government wanted. So
people think the same may happen with the fast-track application if we
make the government to appeal.

The result from the string evaluation uses language as "we expect",
"likelihood", "default presumption of confusability to which
exceptions may be made in specific cases", "might", which seems
unappropriate for such important decisions. Also, the result doesnt
show any examples or tests for the confusion. Since the full letter
will be made public around June 10, I will ask someone from the
registry applicants to publish it here by then.

And finally, nobody will be stubborn if the outcome of the discussion
(appeal) shows that .бг can not be used as an IDN ccTLD.

Regards,
Krum

On Sat, 29 May 2010 10:54:44 +0200

     governance at lists.cpsr.org