[governance] ICANN declined Bulgarian IDN fast-track

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun May 30 09:19:38 EDT 2010

In the initial version of this mail related to the declined Bulgarian
IDN, I refered to Romania by mistake at late hours in the night. The
reason why is that I had a first paragraph saying that ICANN at least
had corrected the imballance of FAST TRACK anti-Roman discrimination,
in discriminating both Romania for using Roman characters and its
Bulgarian neighbor for using Roman like figures. However this was not
much relevant in an IETF copied mail. I apologize for this confusion,
induced by ICANN preoccupation of removing confusion.
jfc

-----
Dear all,

This mail follows from the apparent ICANN denial of the IDNccTLD
U-label that was chosen by the people and government of Bulgaria.

Introduction

1. This mail comes after years of ICANN's active lack of preparation
of the only ICANN concern in the WSIS' Internet. ICANN's role, as
assigned by the USG, is (1) a coordination of the cooperative
governance and adminance of the so-called legacy "root file" and its
(2) relations with RIRs (ICP-2). The rules to apply are defined in
RFC 1591 and ICP-1. Their evolution is defined in the long forgot ICP-3.

ICANN improperly considered the issues created by the IDNA, in which
its positions are:

- unfit to match the IDNA2008 context,
- intrinsically foreign to the so-called IDNA2010 (practical
application of IDNA2008 on the user side)
- and IDNA2012 (administration, operations, maintenance, and future
of the IDNA2008/IDNA2010 system).
- In particular, ICANN is ignorant of the constraints imposed by the
virtual root open unique matrix ("vroum") evolution.

2. This is why this mail is copied to those who have, or have partly,
omitted the actual responsibility to address this point in
conformance with the Internet design/architectural consistency
principles as defined by RFC 1958, 3439, and IDNA2008:

list) where the  Bulgarian question was raised.
- the Chair of the ISO 3166 maintenance agency that decides on ccTLDs
(RFC 1591, ISO 3166, and ICP-1) and ICANN is one of the ten members
for that reason.
- the IDNA2010 working list on the practical user implementations of
the IDNA2008, not yet published, RFC set.
- the IETF WG/NEWPREP that is under preparation (Annex 2 - Mail on
the Internet Users preliminary questions before a possible Stringprep
replacement cooperative work is to be carried out).
- the Internet User Contributing Group.

3. This mail and its annexes will be attached to my appeal to the IAB
that is under preparation prior to June 7. This appeal discusses the
fundamental issues created by the lack of an IESG warning to the
community in general, and to ICANN, in particular, due to the
technical impossibility and risks of running a testing project such
as FAST TRACK, especially if it only involves non-roman IDNccTLDs
instead of temporary IDNgTLDs that are selected at least for their
technical neutrality to phishing.

4. This mail must be considered in the IDNA2008/FAST TRACK/Internet
Users triangular context. As emphasized yesterday in my mail to
brother at arms George Sadowsky: (in ANNEX 3), in this domain, ICANN
is technically impaired, its BoD is unaware of the Internet Users'
world, and its CEO is politically nimble.

TECHNICAL SITUATION SUMMARY

The IDNA2008 success is based upon the fact that no "MUST" affects
the users. Therefore, the Use side can be entirely flexible in the
way it matches the Network side limitation in transcoding the user's
presented characters in what IDNA may accept (this replaces
stringprep). However, there MUST be a way for this flexibility to be
organized among users. Otherwise, the way a domain name is mapped
into an IDNA2008 conformant U-label in a browser may differ from the
way it is mapped in another one.

An attempt to document this has shown that it was possible, which in
turn permitted the IDNA2008 consensus. That attempt was consensual at
the WG (some considering it as the response, others - like me - as a
default guidance). This is why the Area Director did not accept it
and the document was declared "dead". Here is the final wrap-up on
the matter by Vint Cerf (WG Chair) and Lisa Dusseault (Application AD).

<quote from Vint Cerf, Chair>
"Although the last poll regarding the "mappings" document seemed to
show that most respondents wanted to proceed with submission to the
IESG, the AD felt that there were mapping issues not addressed to her
satisfaction. We were unable to agree on a version of mapping that
would satisfy all concerns among the AD and editors. Reference to
TR46 seemed to be desired by the AD but as you see from Patrik
Faltsrom's detailed review of that draft document, there is much to
discuss and debate. In the end, the only way forward seemed to be to
declare the WG "mappings" document to be "dead" and to allow a
version of it to be submitted for publication as an independent submission.
vint"
<end of quote>

<quote from Lisa Dusseault, AD>
"To answer the question about my concerns, I was particularly worried
about client implementations of mappings: the WG consensus call
indicated that those who had plans to implement mappings, planned to
implement TR46 rather than the WG product.

"The WG had a lot of discussions a year ago about whether to leave
mappings as a free-for-all and what I heard at that time was that a
lot of people saw the value in consistent mappings across
implementations -- so a user going from one browser to another, or
from email to a browser, won't be surprised at where they end
up.  Unfortunately, we didn't arrive at a conclusion that provided
that consistency, with one set of mappings proposed by the Unicode
Consortium and another set proposed by this WG.  I still hope for
Unicode and IETF participants both to work on understanding why there
are conflicting requirements and gain a realistic view of what is
likely to be implemented (and over what transition period).  So, work
can continue thanks to individual contributions and reviews, or even
through the possibility of a future WG.

Lisa"
<end of quote>

Such a work does/will continue:

- through my appeal to IESG/IAB for the needed clarifications and
guidance and then the IUCG workon at iucg.org mailing list as well as
- the WG/NEWPREP preparation in order to discuss a consistent
stringpreps convergence
- possibly through the "locked" ICANN WG/IDNA, as Vint Cerf initially
proposed it and Internet Users opposed it, since they do not feel
that they are represented by ICANN.

This work still to be done is actually what FAST TRACK should mainly
test. So, FAST TRACK is a political way to make believe it was
carried out and to influence or to block it. The rest of FAST TRACK
is to test the ICANN IDNcc/gTLD selection and deployment process.

NETWORK NEUTRALITY

The main problem that Internet technology meets is to sustain network
neutrality for all, that is: no one can be technically privileged for
whatever reason.

1. The Internet had a linguistic bias. The task of reducing that
architectural bias was started with IDNA2003.

2. IDNA2008 represents impressive steps ahead in that direction: one
of them is to have IDNA disconnected from Unicode, while using
Unicode codepoints to document the Internet User character set. This
means that whatever the variations on the Internet use, the Internet
DNS technology will remain unaffected. Since this is the part that
ICANN is involved with, it means that there is _nothing_ to be tested
related to the Internet.

3. However,

3.1. IDNA (on the user side and general adminance) is not completed,
3.2. Its architecture is questioned by the IAB and the Applications AD,
3.3. Several Internet users' sides are developing more or less
actively RFC 1958/3439 and IDNA2008 conformant open alternatives,
3.4. Its punycode algorithm has not unified/simplified the Internet
linguistic support.

This means, in other words, everything that FAST TRACK is supposed to
test (i.e. not the technology but the use of the technology) has not
been agreed upon or documented yet.

Rod Becktrom's action, therefore, tends to replace the Internet
linguistic technical bias, by an Internet ICANNistic political bias,
before the IETF, industry, standards, and users agree that the time
has come for a new naming paradigm - where ICANN and its "naming
industry" seek to continue to be a part of.

There are many new architectural features, possibilities, and
opportunities opened by IDNA2008 that will put Internet neutrality
into a new perspective. In that perspective, it is entirely possible
to navigate an immensely extended Internet (and its service and
semantic continuations) without using a single root server system -
from ICANN or any other root system. This means that no one can
impeach Bulgarians from choosing and operating the xn-- tld that they
want and to safely interoperate on the Internet - even if some of
their customers start getting Brazilian friends and business by
error. They will just not pay ICANN for what is worth $10 a year
(registering a single DN).

THE GRASSROOT SOLUTION WE (USERS) NEED AND WORK ON

This means that other solutions/agreements/behaviors have to be
found, documented, experimented, deployed, supported, and
collectively operated, if possible after negotiation with all the
stakeholders of this new game. You are welcome to join
workon at idna2010.org
to start discussing this issue.

The basic need that we have, and are working on, is a tool that is
able to support network linguistic neutrality on the user side, which
is the equivalent of  as how IDNA2008 is currently able to ensure
network linguistic neutrality on the network side. This means that
IDN should not mean an "internationalized domain name" any more, but
rather an "Internet domain name" differentiating them from other
private, community, and (foreign) technologies interoperable domain names.

To achieve this, the rule "first come, first serve" MUST continue to
apply without resulting in possible visual confusion, phishing risk,
and class conflicts. This means that

1.  the IDNA2008 charset must be revised in two directions:

- to support metadata (such as French majuscules) in order to not
occlude any orthotypography
- to be visually coded: this means that visual sorting and indexing
do match. It also means that the Internet has its own charset where
codepoints (Unicode) are regrouped by "visual equivalence codes" and
registrations are "netically" (per netiquette) made on a first come
first use basis (1) in using this Unisign/Unigraph (name it the way
you want) charset (2) exclusively reserving the "two 0-Z" table to
ISO3166 (3) other stringprep processes ranging from IETF technology
to banks, police, IDs, etc. converge towards the same code standard.
(this means that we do not speak anymore of "o", "cyrilic o",
"omicron", but of "half-size circle on the bottom line".

2. the namespace governance is to be renegotiated before unilateral
confusing decisions are taken by local, cultural, trade groups, or
mafias...and by private Internet Users. This is to jointly explore
all of this (rather than imposing a grass-root free of charge, but
messy, system). Therefore, we created the workon at idna2010.org mailing

The internet is an open @large place without monopoly but with alliances.
jfc

ANNEX 1 - Debate over the ITLD Bulgarian request.

At 04:10 29/05/2010, Norbert Klein wrote:

>Yrjö Länsipuro wrote:
> >
> > Would there be another meaningful Cyrillic string that would stand for
> > Bulgaria?
>Why look for another string? It is first of all those who stand for
>Bulgaria who decide what shortcode to use in the code that stands for
>their country, in their script. (Unless there would be an exact double
>rendering like .ru  ->  .py.)
> > After all, in many cases IDN ccTLD's are not exact translitterations
> > of the ASCII ccTLD, since in many languages/scripts such abbreviations
> > don't make sense.
> >
> > Please note, too, that Russia could not have a Cyrillic
> > translitteration of .ru, because it would have been identical with
> > ASCII .py (Paraguay)
>This reference is not appropriate, though an often used irrelevant
>example: ".ru" was probably made from the English word "Russia" (as a
>two-letter ISO country code - like .hu stands for Hungary and not for
>Magyarország in Hungarian) Russia would not have used ".py" (then an
>English abbreviation in Cyrillic script - "Russia" with an "u" is anyway
>different from Россия with an "o"). What was chosen in Russia is a
>Cyrillic rendering of the "Russian Federation" - рф (Р
>усский федерации).
>
>To say that .бг is similar to .br would only be understandable if the
>many ICANN reservations and exclusions for "confusingly similar" would
>also include the "visually impaired" (I am - but I still see the
>difference)...
>

>Norbert Klein
>(living in the Bulgarian Embassy in Cambodia)

>At 10:54 29/05/2010, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>I encourage the Bulgarian friends to be more innovative and just to
>respect that .bg in cyrillic is confusingly similar to .br. When the
>Russian started to discuss their string in cyrillic, their first
>choice was .ru in cyrillic, which was confusingly similar to .py,
>the ccTLD for Paraguay. There was a strong group in the Russian
>Internet community arguing in favour of .ru in cyrillic as an issue
>of "sovereignty and pride of the national Russian community". The
>argument, .ru is owned by Russia and not by ICANN, was used in some
>heated debates. However, constructive consultations between ICANN
>and the Russian community led to the .rf cyrllic code (which stands
>for Russian Federation) and now everybody in Russia is happy to have
>it. Even President Medwedjew likes .rf. Probably the Bulgarians will
>find a nice code which allows them to keep the national pride and to
>accept that you should avoid to confuse users (which than often is
>misused by all kinds of bad guys).
>
>Wolfgang

ANNEX 2 - Response of JFC MORFIN to George Sadwosky on Rob Beckstrom
affirmation that ICANN is a nimble organization.

At 13:51 28/05/2010, George Sadowsky wrote:
>JFC,
>This is an unhelpful comment.  First, I can't understand what you
>are saying.  Second, I sense a high level of sarcasm that occludes
>the meaning.  Third, it is devoid of constructive suggestions. There
>is an old Quaker saying that I recommend to you.  "Don't speak
>unless you can improve upon the quality of silence."

Dear George,

I chair the Projet.FRA for a French speaking space, a language that -
as you certainly know - IDNA occludes the semantics. This may explain
that I also found some typos in your "don't speak when eating your
oatmeal cereals unless ICANN improves their QoS" commercial. I did
enjoyed the pun: Quicker! ICANN the Quaker (netquake nimble survivor?)!

OK, after som fun, let's turn serious now. I am not here to help, but
rather to negotiate.

Now, I must say without sarcasm, but with sadness, that this is a
very helpful comment of yours. It explicitly documents that ICANN
board members have not yet realized that "their" ICANN does not
belong to the same world as the Internet Users' world and that they
are not even trying anymore to understand what Users are saying when
they contribute. In addition, they jump to negative conclusions and
engage in unproductive reactions (something of which you did not get
us used to).

In the Internet Users' world, technology comes first because it says
whether things are possible or not in a network made of bandwidth,
protocols, and machines. In ICANN's world, political beliefs come
first and says whether the intellectual network of contracts, media
releases, reports etc. is credible enough to support the stakeholders' agenda.

ICANN is obviously not nimble. However, Rod is. What he says is
technically absurd. However, it is politically credible.

Up to now, politics and engineers went roughly along together because
they made a couple that roughly shared a common knowledge of what the
other one thinks the network is (cf. Karl's post).

I am afraid that this has definitely changed on January 7, 2010. On
that day, the IESG approved IDNA2008, (1) under the pressure of Rod's
press announcements - cf. WG/IDNABIS Chair (Vint Cerf)'s mails on
this, and (2) after having considered what the Internet Users'
resulting technical, adminance, and governance moves will be
(http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-iucg-afra-reports-00.txt). In addition
to technology and politics, use (and adminance, i.e. what decides on
the possible use) is now a real component of Internet life.

Therefore,
- on the one hand, ICANN is pretending to test something that is by
far not released yet and refuses to discuss the way that it could be
worked out, even under its proposed "technical leadership" (?),
- on the another hand, the entire IETF process (IAB ongoing work, AD
oppositions, regular IETF appeal procedure) definitely refuses to
consider the ICANN moves as having any technical importance.
- and the rest of the body (users' use) has now been set technically
free to go where it wants.

In this situation,

- ICANN staff and contributors have fully shown their inability to
make the ICANN situation internally understood and to cooperate to
reach a solution.
- IETF has to decide if usage architecture belongs to its scope or
not: I do not expect to have a fully documented and digested IAB
answer before the end of the year.
- Internet Users comprise three main general categories: (1) active
users (this kind of governance lists) (2) end users (we never hear
from them but they vote with their dollar bills), and (3) lead users
who face and have to admin any new problems first. Lead users now
have an architectural place in the Internet and a
technological/governance empowerment capacity. This is not a couple
anymore but rather a trio.
- The stakeholders at this stage are mostly Unicode/ISOC/Google led

ICANN actually faces the choice that Rod alludes to:

- either to ossify the de facto ISOCANN enhanced co-operation (UN
support could help but would probably lead to politico/technical confusions),
- either be de facto replaced by the long planned DNSSEC oriented USG emanation
- or to be identified with a "nimble Rod" able to contribute with
swift responses in negotiationsor power conflicts on behalf of the
current stakeholders' IN class and USG's DNSSEC strategy.

IN Class commercial and DNSSEC political interests will resist rogue
users wandering around for a certain time. IDNA, not. Nimble Rod's
IDNA "make believe" action certainly is what currently protects ICANN
in that area. The best for all strategy of which ICANN can follow is:

- to support Rod,
- make him informed so that he has a better command of the issue,
- make him negotiate the best way out/compromise in the interest of
the IN Class, stakeholders' Group, and USG's DNSSEC strategy - before
the Internet is shacked by the malignant uses of the IDNA2008 implied
Internet architectural extensions.

ICANN's mistake was to unfairly favor a few IDNccTLDs over IDNgTLDs,
and to not ensure that they themselves understand first as to what
IDNA2008 really is.

>I regret that you chose not to provide a constructive response to my query.

As you saw, I did provide you and ICANN with a pair's response. The
ball is now in your field. After several other board members, you
will not be able to claim  I did not warn you. Anyway the Draft is
public as if my IESG appeal
(http://www.ietf.org/iesg/appeal/morfin-2010-03-10.pdf), the IESG
response
(http://www.ietf.org/iesg/appeal/response-to-morfin-2010-03-10.txt)
and will be my IAB appeal in a few days and the IAB response.

Best.

jfc

ANNEX 3 - IUCG clarification requirement concerning the IETF/NewPrep project