AW: [governance] ICANN declined Bulgarian IDN fast-track

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat May 29 04:54:44 EDT 2010

Dear List,

I encourage the Bulgarian friends to be more innovative and just to respect that .bg in cyrillic is confusingly similar to .br. When the Russian started to discuss their string in cyrillic, their first choice was .ru in cyrillic, which was confusingly similar to .py, the ccTLD for Paraguay. There was a strong group in the Russian Internet community arguing in favour of .ru in cyrillic as an issue of "sovereignty and pride of the national Russian community". The argument, .ru is owned by Russia and not by ICANN, was used in some heated debates. However, constructive consultations between ICANN and the Russian community led to the .rf cyrllic code (which stands for Russian Federation) and now everybody in Russia is happy to have it. Even President Medwedjew likes .rf. Probably the Bulgarians will find a nice code which allows them to keep the national pride and to accept that you should avoid to confuse users (which than often is misused by all kinds of bad guys).

Wolfgang