[governance] IGC statement FINAL VERSION

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Jan 27 14:23:31 EST 2010

In message <4B608038.4020001 at itforchange.net>, at 23:34:40 on Wed, 27
Jan 2010, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
>>> I don't think it is a good idea to renegotiate the agenda two months
>>>before an IGF meeting. It is neither possible to invite speakers nor
>>>to arrange workshops around main sessions if the last MAG meeting
>>>before the IGF may revise the agenda.
>>
>> Which is exactly why I have earlier suggested that having a MAG
>>meeting (rather than another September09-ish meeting) in July 2010 is
>>a bad idea.
>
>Let us tie our hands, lest we do something wrong!
>
>This just comes from lack of faith in governance processes. Why would
>we think that a MAG like group will be so stupid as to go about doing
>stuff that is not in the best interest of the IGF?

On the contrary, I think the MAG would be acting sensibly (ie not
stupidly) by recognising that by the last week in June there was nothing
useful which could come out of their meeting that would constructively
affect the Vilnius main meeting during July, August and the first two
weeks of September; especially given that the community which organises
workshops (and similar events) went home two days before.

Or looking at it from a non-MAG person's viewpoint: Far better to
conclude virtually all the arrangements as part of a September09-ish
co-operative open meeting in June, than to leave Geneva on the 27th June
wondering what the MAG might be about to change two days later, and how
that might affect everything you have just put in place.

Trust me, I have been organising regular mid-September meetings for a
few years now... It's not easy!

None of this detracts from the need for the MAG to MAG-type-things in
May, but I do believe they should be aiming to finish all of that, in
May.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org