[governance] IGC statement FINAL VERSION

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jan 27 13:04:40 EST 2010

Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <4B602988.8030603 at wzb.eu>, at 11:54:48 on Wed, 27 Jan 2010,
> Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> writes
>> I don't think it is a good idea to renegotiate the agenda two months
>> before an IGF meeting. It is neither possible to invite speakers nor
>> to arrange workshops around main sessions if the last MAG meeting
>> before the IGF may revise the agenda.
>
> Which is exactly why I have earlier suggested that having a MAG
> meeting (rather than another September09-ish meeting) in July 2010 is
> a bad idea.

Let us tie our hands, lest we do something wrong!

This just comes from lack of faith in governance processes. Why would we
think that a MAG like group will be so stupid as to go about doing stuff
that is not in the best interest of the IGF?

Why then, lets not have any MAG and even any IGF at all, who knows what
they may come up with and upset happily settled apple carts.

(No one really spoke about 'renegotiating' agenda at the last moment!
Did anyone. So this rhetoric is unnecessary and distracting. Only about
fine-tuning language, getting closer to specific topics/ policy
questions, deciding things about structural evolutions, detailing agenda
for moderators etc, anything that may need a last minute decision - why
preempt? And also why such an eagerness to forget that it is not only
the third meeting we are speaking about dispensing with here, but also
the second!!)

Parminder
     governance at lists.cpsr.org