[governance] IGC statement Para 2 REVISION 2.x

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 14:16:17 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
>>>  Sunday, Nii?  Because they are businessmen...
>>
>> Perhaps they are, I ONLY know them however in the context of CS
>> activities (AfNOG mainly).
>

> What are you saying, everyone attending afnog, nanog, ietf is civil society?

AfNOG does no technical coordination.  It is purely educational. I see
it as pure CS.  People who attend AfNOG work for PS, govt and CS orgs.
 Volunteers do the trainings.

> that a person might be there to represent a company is irrelevant?

Yes, irrelevant, there is no representation of company views. People
attend to learn (and to teach).  It's about sharing BPs.

IETF, may be different, but we are not talking about that.

> Anyway, they are clearly both business guys (and they are both active on the
> tech community, but I don't see how that makes them civil society.)

They are both involved in efforts to spread the Internet in Africa,
giving tirelessly of their time and knowledge for over a decade with
no compensation.  That's what makes them CS IMHO.

> Charles Sha'ban, business.

OK

  Waudo Siganga, business (he represents
> commercial organizations, African leadership of WITSA).

From the content of his posts to the KitaNet list, I assumed he was
CS, but we can call him business.

 Richard Sambrook,
> business, you're not suggesting the BBC is civil society?

Some do, some don't::
http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/1/8/0/0/2/p180025_index.html

So even if we call him business, by Sivas math (just posted) there is
an equitable balance.

So can we not bitch about it any more?  Lets strike that sentence from
Para 2, shall we?

--
Cheers,

McTim