[governance] IGC statement REVISION 2.0: PAras 3 and 4 together

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 10:28:49 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
> Submission of the IGC in taking stock of the Sharm el Sheikh meeting of the
> IGF
.
.
> One particular aspect of the IGF's operations in which the participation of
> stakeholders could be improved is in the making of decisions relating to the
> IGF's structure and processes.  Many of the IGC's members believe that the
> MAG, drawing on input received at open consultation meetings, ought to
> exercise a greater influence than in the past on decisions about the
> future structure and processes of the IGF.

We are saying the MA should have greater influence.   Per Bill's
question, lets have some more input to confirm this before we say it.
If we don't have some (many) positive replies on this, I'd say it can
be stricken.

> A second aspect in which there is room for further improvement in the
> accountability of the IGF to its stakeholders is in setting the substantive
> agenda of IGF meetings.  Although at present this responsibility falls to
> the MAG, the IGC was surprised that for instance the very strongly and
> widely expressed views of stakeholders from civil society as to the
> importance of a human rights agenda for the IGF was not reflected in the
> agenda set by the MAG for the Sharm el Sheikh meeting.

Here we say, while it's up to MAG to do, we (et.al. per Ian) didn't
get what we want last time.  Sounds like sour grapes to me, I would
strike the para.

--
Cheers,

McTim