[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Jan 9 04:30:55 EST 2010

In message <4B4821E0.5020008 at itforchange.net>, at 11:57:44 on Sat, 9 Jan
2010, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes

>Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <4B46D0F8.101 at itforchange.net>, at 12:00:16 on Fri, 8 Jan
>>2010, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
>>
>>> there is another ideology  opposed to this one which believes that
>>>there is at present large scale social injustice which has to be
>>>corrected by strong positive measures for social justice - which
>>>often involves redistributive measures which you call as 'magic
>>>financial crutch'.
>>
>> Just to be clear, I was describing what I believe to be Margaret
>>Thatcher's views, when she made her much misquoted statements about
>>"society". That was many years ago, and I don't necessarily agree with
>>the philosophy either then, or now. But I do feel that if you are
>>going to criticise someone, the least you can do first is properly
>>understand what it is you are criticising.
>Mr Perry
>
>I well know what I am criticizing, or rather engaging with, so I
>request that you avoid snob statements.

Perhaps it would have been clearer if I'd said "...the least *one* can
do..." etc. It wasn't a comment on your position.

>You quoted Thatcher, and then explained the quote using the 'magic
>financial crutch' language,

Because that was what she was referring to. As I also explained, that's
nothing to do with my personal views on the matter, just a clarification
of her expression "no such thing as society".

>> Meanwhile, I spend quite a lot of my time working for various
>>charitable ventures which are in a very real sense "society's"
>>manifestation of the philanthropic "Fairy Godmother", or to use your
>>words "a redistributive measure".

>No, thats not the meaning of redistribution. In a way quite to the
>contrary.

I'll try to find a different word for it in future.

>Now before you again react inappropriately as you did the last time,
>let me tell you that my critiques are political and not personal,
>unlike what comes out of the language you used.)

I'm sorry if you took my remarks personally, it was not intended. Indeed
I wasn't trying to start a debate about politics at all. So I'll leave
it there.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org