[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Sat Jan 9 03:18:51 EST 2010

Dear Parminder and all

Once more you enlighten the debate with a clear position I strongly support. Therefore, many thanks to you for beeing watchful on this CS list.
Neoliberal positions, as they are frequently expressed here denying the government its involvment in an as "public affair" as Internet governance, are paradoxal (even  inconsistent) when one considers the billions dollars and euros the democratic governments have just spent for saving the banking system after the neolib disaster.
Of course, governement shouldn't be given "exclusive power", even in our democracies. For this reason, CS should be the watchdog for preventing people from any deviance (of their government), or at least for informing them on the threatening dangers. Moreover, in many of our democracies CS partners with public authorities at local and/or natinal level in a certain number of domains, even IG. This also happens in France, although with criticisms and, in some cases, even  a clear opposition (e.g. in download control and the so-called "three strikes" law).

All the best
Jean-Louis Fullsack