[governance] REVISION 3 Draft statement to UNSG on bypassing

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:08:47 EST 2010

Dear all,

Irrespective of my previous comment on Parminder's analysis of the
motivation of governments, Yrjö has a very valid point : Parminder's
document is shorter and more direct. Probably better as a base to work from.
Sometimes, less is more. Bill also mentions rightly that there is no real
urgency.

The key point is indeed : "Desirability of the continuation of the IGF" can
certainly be qualified as a WSIS-follow-up question. Not respecting the
normal process for WSIS follow-up issues (ie : the circuit : CSTD, ECOSOC,
UN GA) should be justified by fact-based reasons. None has been provided so
far and the option that is envisaged has two clear drawbacks :
- it prevents fruitful interactions that can take place in the CSTD - and
there only
- the ECOSOC cannot send the report back to the CSTD (like it did on
enhanced cooperation) because a decision must be taken before the end of
this year.

In any case, as mentioned in the previous post, the key question for the UN
GA should be Yes or No, as the question is "desirability of the
continuation".

Best

Bertrand

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Yrjö Länsipuro <yrjo_lansipuro at hotmail.com
> wrote:

>  I could certainly live with all alternatives we are now discussing. They
> all convey the same message, with different emphasis on our main points.
>
> I'm quite attracted by Parminder's new text, because it is short and starts
> from the fact that many governments already opposed cutting out the CSTD.
> This way, joining our voices with other stakeholders, our statement might
> carry more weight than otherwise.
>
> However, maybe I'm biased, having worn the government hat for so long...
>

> Yrjö
>

> > Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:34:52 +0000
> > From: jeanette at wzb.eu
> > To: jeremy at ciroap.org
> > CC: governance at lists.cpsr.org; williams.deirdre at gmail.com
> > Subject: Re: [governance] REVISION 3 Draft statement to UNSG on bypassing
>

> > Hi again,
> >
> > I agree with Deidre that we shouldn't use a statement to explain
> > matters. Particularly, we shouldn't explain UN procedures including
> > timing in a statement to the UNSG. Therefore, I would take only the
> > following para from Parminder's text and integrate it, perhaps after
> > rewriting it a bit to make it sound polite:
> >
> > We therefore request that in the interest of an open and transparent
> > process, UN Secretary General's report on continuation of the IGF be
> > made available to the CSTD's annual session in May 2010, which will help
> > the 'UN membership' make an informed and considered decision on this
> > matter as per the requirements of the Tunis Agenda.
> >
> > jeanette
> >

> > Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> suggestions.
> > >
> > > Then we have you and Deirdre who don't want paragraph 5 and Yrjö,
> Wolfgang et al who do.
> > >
> > > We also have Parminder who has contributed a completely different text
> (and I don't think there's any point in integrating it with the existing
> text, because it's written as a complete alternative).
> > >
> > > I now need to know what each of you can live with. Jeanette and
> Deirdre, could you live with paragraph 5? Others, could you live with losing
> it?
> > >
> > > All, could you live with Parminder's draft instead of the one we've
> been discussing, or Parminder could you live with the original one?

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Délégué Spécial pour la Société de l'Information / Special Envoy for the
Information Society
Ministère des Affaires Etrangères et Européennes/ French Ministry of Foreign
and European Affairs
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")