[governance] IGF, ECOSOC and WSIS III

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon Feb 15 10:56:36 EST 2010

Hi,

I agree with Parminder on all points; and now my 2 or 3 cents.

IGC should of course report to CSTD its views, by May, again, on IGF futures; as well as direct with ECOSOC and friendly GA governments.

Re MAG or no MAG, its loss would be a big symbolic step back. I expect CS would wander off to a new venue without it, frankly. Which might be fine by some usual suspect non-fans of IGF.

Re Geneva or New York, arguments could be made either way. NY is further from ITU for example, while closer to SecGen.  But another Internet governance institution moving to US may not be welcomed by some. Even if handy for us New Yorkers : ).

But odds are CS has limited clout on this locational issue, and is best served by focusing on Parminder's and Wolfgang's points - we are at yet another tipping point.

Lee