[governance] IGF, ECOSOC and WSIS III

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Feb 15 07:58:30 EST 2010

Hi All

I agree that we should call for IGF review to be taken up at CSTD level
onwards, which in any case then goes to the ECOSOC and then to the UN's
general assembly, which as per the TA would make the final resolution on
the issue. We should develop a statement on this issue addressed to UN
Secretary General's offce and of Under Secretary Sha's office.

I do not see any justification for the the report from formal
consultations with IGF participants not to be shared with CSTD. There
looks to be elements of avoidable intrigue in it. Lets see what happens
since CSTD chairman and some government reps asked for this report to be
tabled with CSTD, which is in charge of WSIS follow-up.

Separately, it may be pertinent to note in this regard that even without
the UN under-secretary general's report CSTD can make observation on
review of IGF, and on the need of its continuation or not.

Two other things come to my mind which connect to the present debate.

One; it is perhaps ironical that when CSTD was developing its own
mandate on WSIS follow up,  developed countries opposed IGF's inclusion
in definition of WSIS follow up that CSTD was to address. It were a few
developing countries and a few CS reps from developing countries who
weighed on the side of including IGF in CSTD's remit, whereby IGF was
included in CSTD's remit of review and follow up. Where would we be at
present if the views of developed countries were accepted at that time?

The above underscores the need to ensure enough institutional
mechanisms, and institutional depth, around spaces concerned with public
policies.  Fouad is very much on the point to relate this issue to that
of continuation or not of MAG, or even of weakening or strengthening the
MAG, which is the second point I wanted to make.

Do those who advocate either dispensing with MAG (the multistakeholder
space we got) or weakening it not realize that any such thing will only
shift more decision making power to the UN's bureaucracy? How do they
defend their formulations on MAG with the present call for seeking CSTD
review of IGF before the deeper and more obscure UN system takes
cognizance of it?

Parminder