[governance] FW: [] ICANN President: $750,000+$195,000 bonus

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Mon Feb 15 06:32:38 EST 2010

With all due respect, Muthusamy, we are talking about US dollars here,
not rupees or yen or... the whole amount is extremely high -- remember,
ICANN is a non-profit organization, not a for-profit corporation!! And
250K US dollars has a tremendous value for,eg, ICANN creating a more
decent fund to help increase Southern participation, etc etc.

Like many for-profit corporations, Mr Beckstrom earns nearly two times
as much as his closest aides (Mr Brent, Mr Jeffrey, and Mr Pritz), who
in their turn earn two times as much as the chief financial officer (Mr
Wilson).

Now I understand why Mr Beckstrom always looks so happy :)

--c.a.

Avri Doria wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2010, at 10:47, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy wrote:
>
>> In the case of the CEO's compensation for the year, I wouldn't worry about a $ 250,000 difference. It isn't much.
>
> It could help to fund at least one application by some worthy applicant from a developing region maybe even seed money for a Foundation to help applicants from developing regions.  Lots of things could be done with that 250K that you think is not so much.  Maybe he will donate it to some good cause since it is not so much.
>
>> And not a significant difference to merit an embarrassing discussion in a public list or in an open forum.
>
> To whom is this discussion embarrassing?  You, me?  I am not embarrassed.  If we don't talk about here, then where?  If one sees excess, it needs to be pointed out.
>
>>  There are good natured people with the required qualification who would opt to work at low compensation levels, but it is not always necessary for all non-profit corporations to take advantage of the goodness of such people.
>
> I disagree.  We should find the people who are dedicated, know the field and are willing to take a reasonable wage.  I accept the need to pay them a livable wage for LA, Brussels or even Palo Alto, and I accept that they have higher then normal expenses while doing their job - I even accept that they travel business class since that is the only way to travel and work at the same time.  I do not accept that they need to be paid according to the standards of profit making industry or need TV studios in the Palo Alto office.
>
>> Our energies could instead be directed towards finding ways of enhancing ICANN's revenues in areas where it is due, where it does not become a burden for the user. That would be several times more rewarding than saving a few thousand dollars on Executive Compensation.
>
> It is a symbolic issue.  One of the problem i see in IANN is that it persists in seeing itself through the lens of a profit making corporation.  This excuses a whole lot of problems.

> [...]

Carlos A. Afonso
CGI.br (www.cgi.br)
Nupef (www.nupef.org.br)
new/nuevo/novo e-mail: ca at cafonso.ca