[governance] FW: [] ICANN President: $750,000+$195,000 bonus vs

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 10:47:02 EST 2010

Hello Avri Doria

Thanks for your comment on this.

1. I compared the Executive Compensation at ICANN to that of Commercial
Corporations to point out - in general - that some of ICANN's executives
would get higher compensation than what ICANN offers to them, so these
executives are not exactly taking advantage of ICANN.

2. When we have a lower compensation structure for non-profits it might save
a few thousand dollars for that non-profit corporation, but this practice
amounts to the non-profit taking advantage of those who opt to work for
non-profits.

3. Lower compensations structures tend to cause at least a little bit of
compromise in the corporation's ability to hire people with the right
background and skills. A corporation such as ICANN is several times as
important as the largest of commercial corporations, so the people hired to
run ICANN should be of a caliber higher than that of the people hired by
very large commercial corporations.

4. There are good natured people with the required qualification who would
opt to work at low compensation levels, but it is not always necessary for
all non-profit corporations to take advantage of the goodness of such
people.

While this is my rationale in general, I do NOT blindly endorse the
compensation package offered to every employee of ICANN.

In the case of the CEO's compensation for the year, I wouldn't worry about a
$ 250,000 difference. It isn't much. Definitely not a significant sum of
money for a corporation as large as ICANN at its current level of revenue
flow.  And not a significant difference to merit an embarrassing discussion
in a public list or in an open forum. The committee of people who have
agreed upon the compensation and benefits must have taken this decision
after due deliberations in camera. Perhaps we should leave it at that.

( CEO's compensation at ICANN was close to $700,000 last year, if I am
right. In that case $750,000 wouldn't be anything more than an inflation
adjustment for the year)

Our energies could instead be directed towards finding ways of enhancing
ICANN's revenues in areas where it is due, where it does not become a burden
for the user. That would be several times more rewarding than saving a few
thousand dollars on Executive Compensation.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
http://www.isocmadras.com
facebook: http://is.gd/x8Sh
LinkedIn: http://is.gd/x8U6