[governance] Re: Remote Participation Instructions for the MAG

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 05:55:09 EST 2010

I think no one noticed that we had a badly worded subject line - I only saw
it this morning after I read your message. The remote participation was
yesterday for the Open Consultation. It was far from perfect but it was
available (mostly - the morning was better) - and I must say that the
captioning was posted very quickly afterwards so that one could fill in the
gaps.
Deirdre

On 10 February 2010 06:40, CW Mail <mail at christopherwilkinson.eu> wrote:

> Well, that does not work. There is no video atall. The video link leads to
> an advertisement from VideoLAN. The VCL mediaplayer download offered does
> not improve matters.
> The Chat is Read Only.
>
> Who is <sdkaaa>?
>
> How did Chennai post their interesting question? I notice that nobody else
> has found out how to enter meaningful text into the Chat.
>
> Regards, CW
>

> On 09 Feb 2010, at 15:18, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy wrote:
>
> Ginger,
>
> These comments are comments are not posted for discussion in today's
> meetings. Think of this discussion as a sideline discussion during the
> review process, to take further shape as a concrete proposal. Yes, we will
> send this to the Secretariat as a suggestion.
>
> Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
> http://www.isocmadras.com
>

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Good point, Shiva, and one many have made at the OC this morning. We are
>> now past the time for this agenda point, and are moving on to agenda. We are
>> not looking for a solution for today, but for participation in a process. I
>> suggest that you send this comment directly to the IGF secretariat, and I
>> know the RPWG will take it under consideration.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ginger
>>
>> Sivasubramanian Muthusamy wrote:
>>
>> Hello Ginger
>>
>>  Oliver and I had a chat on this topic and I have had some exchanges on
>> twitter with Marilla.
>>
>>  Our concern is not to find a temporary solution to participate in the
>> meeting today, it is a general concern, it is about the technical resources
>> required for remote participation, by IGF standards
>>
>>  IGF is *THE* Internet forum, a place where the who is who of Internet
>> and all the technical expertise converges and the infrastructure available
>> must be uncompromising. The present standards are a generation behind, there
>> is no room for contention.
>>
>>  It is all run by volunteers, yes, but this is not a comment about
>> people, it is a comment about the resources to be committed, about the
>> attention that needs to be paid. IGF needs to consult professionals months
>> in advance to determine the bandwidth and infrastructure requirements,
>> arrange to send experts to the locations days in advance to flawlessly set
>> up the remote participation infrastructure.
>>
>>  My suggestion here is that administratively the IGF Secretariat could
>> call for advise from the technical community
>>

>> Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
>> http://www.isocmadras.com
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Bernard Sadaka <sdkaaa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Olivier,
>>> Please find bellow all the ways you could participate in the current IGF
>>> OC:
>>>
>>>    - Remote participation including coveritlive, twitter and
>>>    video/audio: http://www.igfremote.info/RP/
> [...]

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979