[governance] EC consultation in NY: my report

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Dec 16 06:14:34 EST 2010

In message
<75822E125BCB994F8446858C4B19F0D70AC120090C at SUEX07-MBX-04.ad.syr.edu>,
at 00:04:22 on Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>
writes

>My most pointed criticism - one that got the DESA people scurrying -
>was to ask why, if EC was a separate process from IGF,

Just because CSTD is dealing with both workstreams, doesn't invalidate
the proposition that they might be "two distinct processes" (which are
proceeding in parallel). Indeed, that train left the station months ago
when the resolution which called for yesterday's meeting defined the
"two processes" context for the meeting.

>was the CSTD suddenly proposing to exclude CS and business from
>_developing recommendations for improvements in the IGF_!!!

The reason why the CSTD IGF WG has been made Government only (although
CS and business are still able to turn up tomorrow and read out their
inputs to the process) has been stated as 'in order to complete the work
on time'. You may think that's a smokescreen, and an undesirable
outcome, but I suspect we have to live with it now, unless some rabbits
appear out of hats in Geneva today or tomorrow.

The original roadmap (for the IGF Improvements WG) was always a bit
optimistic if (as it turned out) they needed to wait for the General
Assembly (via the Second Committee) to affirm that the IGF was going
ahead at all. And we are also stuck with milestones such as the CSTD
meeting being in May, and the 2012 IGF planning starting in less than a
year.

As for the EC recommendations (which is defacto a quite separate report
regardless of the EC/IGF separation issue) we need to wait for the
UnderSec's report, then influence the debate where/when that surfaces
(whether that's CSTD or ECOSOC, it'll be early next summer).

>Note also that the loopiest NGO intervention came from a woman who's
>organization was indeed ECOSOC accredited.

But that's democracy for you - within whatever the local constraints are
(ultimately very few for that meeting), you do have to listen politely
to what everyone has to say.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org