[governance] Draft IGC statement at CSTD IGF Consultation Friday

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Thu Dec 16 01:36:32 EST 2010

Dear list,
Here, I prepared Draft "Talking points" for us to make as statement at
the Friday meeting.

I plan to extract the points from our consensus statement, first, but like
to go further more, given the discussion at NY meeting on EC etc.

So I invite you to make your comments, so that we have more integrated
views expressed, if not a full consensus in 48 hours.

best,

izumi

--------

a) Need for "enhanced"  (not degraded) multistakeholder approach
<I plan to put answers to the following questions – you provide, hopefully>
- Why multistakeholder so important?
- What are the specific benefits of MSH approach for Internet
governance itself and discussing about Internet governance such as
CSTD IGF WG
- What are the specific risks or problems of excluding
non-governmental actors in the process

b) c) Need for enhancing participation
1) Need for remote participation within IGF Consultation process
- All IGF meetings and related consultation meetings have had some
form of remote participation. It is important to continue this
practice at CSTD consultation meetings on both IGF and EC. This allows
many interested parties, including governments, but mostly civil
society actors who have decent interests and reasons and willingness
to participate but prohibited from doing so by cost of travel and
amount of time to spend to have 5 minutes slots if lucky…
- Remote participation costs little but works great – call for support
from private sector – technology companies
- IGC is willing to help coordinate – like we did at Vilnius IGF
-
2) Expanding accreditation
- There should be new process to give new accreditation to IGF
consultation process if we are to “improve” it, not just to continue
it
- WSIS accreditation is 6 years old and limited
- ECOSOC accreditation is difficult and time-consuming to obtain

- Otherwise we will limit our own work to the “usual suspects” only
and leaving vast new people who now have strong interest and who are
strongly influenced by the outcome of Internet Governance, albeit IGF
alone
- Same goes true for Enhanced Cooperation and also largely to WSIS
follow up which leads to the WSIS 2015
     governance at lists.cpsr.org