[governance] Shah' stmt at the close of today

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Dec 16 04:52:56 EST 2010

In message
<AANLkTim-oTmun5+O6=TsYc8XHTZHktptpjUySwX4Tfm_ at mail.gmail.com>, at
08:45:48 on Thu, 16 Dec 2010, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> writes
>> The fact that that lady is sitting there, she is there as a Portugal
>> representative, authorised to represent the views of her people
>
>I know plenty of folk from Portugal with more clue than her, I would
>suggest that she is doing them a disservice by being unprepared.
>
>IIRC she told the room she was representing Haiti.

Irrespective of who she was representing (she said it was
"schoolchildren around the world" as well as Haiti) the views she
expressed were not unusual.

I meet people all the time who think that the "hands off" or even "wild
west" regulation of content on the Internet is a significant threat to
many users. I know this is an unfashionable view amongst the
constituencies who typically attend Internet Governance meetings, but it
is widely held.

One of the few tips of this iceberg to surface is the "right to be
forgotten" (eg. erasing unwise things said on social networks when
young, but it also applies to women who are stalked by ex-partners),
which I think we'll be hearing a lot more of.

While some say it's technically impossible, and others that you should
be brave and face up to the inevitable consequences of what's online,
there's a non-zero probability of a "Titanic moment" at some point in
the not too distant future. Isn't this one of the reasons the public
(through their governments) want to find out who is "in charge of the
Internet", and ask them to help make it a safer place?
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org