[governance] Re: Draft IGC statement on Wikileaks

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 12:46:40 EST 2010

Bill,

The connection is that there is now a strong perception on the part of "the
powers that be" that "things are out of control" (see as an example the
various types of reactions to what are evidently quite technically trivial
attacks by "Anonymous" e.g.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/1f596aa4-048d-11e0-a99c-00144feabdc0.html) and
presumably the follow-on of "something needs to be done"!

So the question is "what will be done" by whom, and under what authority?

I think the argument here is that we (?) should get in soon with some sort
of suggested approach to a broad governance framework because the "powers
that be" will be feverishly working on their approach and it will emerge
very quickly and very forcefully.

How much detail one would/could articulate in such a statement from us (?)
is questionable given time, attention, differences of perspective but
getting something out there at least as a sort of marker would seem to me to
be imperative.

Mike