[governance] Re: Draft IGC statement on Wikileaks

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 15:43:14 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> McTim wrote:
>
> Prmndr, Lee, Ian, et. al,
>

> I have a hypothetical question (that may not be so hypothetical, if
> the actions by some re: CSTD are anything to go by).
>
> If the governemtns of the world decided they would build a "framework"
> of some kind re: IG, but shut out all non-governmental actors in its
> development, would you all still be in favor of said framework
> building?
>

> McTim
>
> Since you again insist on a reply in a second email,

it was merely a gentle reminder, I wasn't insisting.

> My response is also hypothetical, to your hypothetical question, since I do
> not support silent acceptance of less than perfect governance structures.
>
> My response is in form of a counter question - will you like to live without
> any government at all, or will you accept an imperfect government, while
> keeping up all efforts to perfect it?

Since I haven't established a micro-state of my own, I think the
answer is clear.

> McTim, either you are a complete anarchist or you have simply assumed that
> Internet

Why is it either/or?

 and the new social structures being created by it are, somehow
> magically,

There is nothing magical about TCP/IP.

 a completely new space, completely unlike the world we know and
> live in, and thus needs no political governance (as we know political
> governance).

I would say "CAN HAVE NO political governance as we know it, not "needs no..."

If the net were to have political governance as we know it, it
wouldn't survive (in the same form as we have come to depend on it).

> I see such a position as very faulty at its very base

as I see your "let's ask the adults to make our decisions for us"
attitude as nonsensical.

, and thus
> am unable to respond meaningfully to questions that are built on this
> assumption. I can discuss this basic assumption and its fault with you, but
> no point otherwise arguing too much if we do not settle this basic, framing,
> issue.

I think we just have to agree to disagree.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org