[governance] Re: Draft IGC statement on Wikileaks

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun Dec 12 15:47:26 EST 2010

I will try again to clarify my position. I believe we can agree that:

1) The general public worldwide has never heard of 'Internet Governance.'

2)  'WikiLeaks' now has high global...name recognition.

>From a branding/marketing perspective, 2) is doing great, 1) not so much.

If IG(C) can't take advantage of present circumstance to teach the media and the public to say 'The handling of WikiLeaks is an Internet governance issue'...well now I'm getting really depressed.

In sum: We will clearly continue to argue about present and alternative future IG (f)(F)rameworks -  which for marketing purposes is fine - as long as folks learn how to spell our (caucus) name correctly.

 Detailing what is or is not necessarily part of a future F(ramework) or (framework) is beyond the scope of the present media/marketing moment, and I won;t go there when we should be thinking marketing 101.

Lee