[governance] Re: Draft IGC statement on Wikileaks

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Dec 12 05:04:06 EST 2010

McTim wrote:
> Prmndr, Lee, Ian, et. al,
>

> I have a hypothetical question (that may not be so hypothetical, if
> the actions by some re: CSTD are anything to go by).
>
> If the governemtns of the world decided they would build a "framework"
> of some kind re: IG, but shut out all non-governmental actors in its
> development, would you all still be in favor of said framework
> building?

McTim

Since you again insist on a reply in a second email, i will reply, and
also explain why i did not respond earlier.

My response is also hypothetical, to your hypothetical question, since I
do not support silent acceptance of less than perfect governance structures.

My response is in form of a counter question - will you like to live
without any government at all, or will you accept an imperfect
government, while keeping up all efforts to perfect it?

McTim, either you are a complete anarchist or you have simply assumed
that Internet and the new social structures being created by it are,
somehow magically, a completely new space, completely unlike the world
we know and live in, and thus needs no political governance (as we know
political governance). I see such a position as very faulty at its very
base, and thus am unable to respond meaningfully to questions that are
built on this assumption. I can discuss this basic assumption and its
fault with you, but no point otherwise arguing too much if we do not
settle this basic, framing, issue.

Parminder