[governance] net neutrality

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Aug 21 07:52:59 EDT 2010

See here new pay per site plans for Internet mobile in India

http://www.tatadocomo.com/pps-tariff-plans.aspx

  http://www.tata.com/article.aspx?artid=I+qapklYkjQ=

Another Indian telecom, Tata DoCoMo has announced a select boutique of
email and social networking sites for about a dollar a month. (The
public Internet is of course for a much higher price.) It is obvious
that net neutrality is already dead on the wireless internet, as we
still argue about definitions and technical intricacies. The fact that
is simple and clearly understood by anyone is - IGC's  website, for
instance, is much more expensive to reach and browse than Facebook,
Twitter and Gmail put together. That is the problem, i.e. if we are
indeed inclined to see any problem there. And if we see here the death
of what was the most important promise of the Internet - that of pulling
all of us - or at least all of our content - to the same starting point
on the Internet.

Wonder why we keep insisting the problem is much more complex, or
technical etc. I think it is simple and clear as day light.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org