[governance] net neutrality

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Aug 21 08:25:22 EDT 2010

 >Wonder why we keep insisting the problem is much more complex, or
technical etc. I think it is simple and clear as day >light.

Especially, if we are inclined to see the Internet as more than a space
for a competitive market (though NN issue has enough problems vis a vis
Internet as a competitive market place) as a democratic public sphere
and a space for exercising global citizenship.

I hear so many voices here argue to the effect that there need be
nothing surprising, or wrong, if the Internet takes the contours of
power - of dominaiton and subordinaiton - as experienced in the 'real'
world. What I dont understand is that why just because we could not live
in a compact of equality in the offline world, we should not strive to
live in a compact of equality over and vis a vis the Internet (at least
to the extent we can, at least to try, as progressive civil society).
That is the ideological basis for network neutrality or what may be
called as 'network equality'. To choose one side or the other is quite
an ideological position. Beyond a point there is not much to argue about
here, one has to choose one side or the other, we as a group may have to
choose one side or the other. And fight for however close we can reach
to the ideal.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org