[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd World

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Thu Apr 8 16:24:38 EDT 2010

Avri, I agree with you, this is actually a heavy game played by all
large exporters and usually won by the most powerful ones in each
sector. In reality the corn-to-ethanol policy of the US government
impacts much more the poor in nations where corn is a staple food, like
Mexico, since corn prices went up wildly after the USG stimulated this use.

All big agricultural exporters (Brazil included of course -- btw
harvesting this year an all time record of 146 million metric tons of
grain -- mostly beans and corn) have stimulus/subsidies policies in
place. No one just sits down and waits for the good will of the other
ones to drop these in favor of the never existent free market. The
smallest countries are not allowed to play, just to be played with,
unfortunately.

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org