[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Apr 4 12:41:17 EDT 2010

Gurstein:
Clinton didn't "admit" that free trade was bad for "3rd world countries" he stated that it was bad for Haitian rice farmers. Which it may well have been - some of them are not competitive. Farmers have been moved "off the land" in every developing economy; typically that's part of the development process.

Always missing from the free trade critics perspective is the harms done to the 70-80% of the population who pay more for rice because of the trade protectionism. So, how much more should all those poor people be forced to pay for food so that the economy can conform to romantic notions of yeoman farmers and self-sufficiency?

While the emotional impact of this article trades on the Haiti earthquake disaster, I have trouble understanding how total dependence on local sources of food production protects you against a local earthquake. I guess people will use anything to milk such things to support their favored political agenda.

The idea that a small island economy such as Haiti can be "self-sufficient" in _anything_ is worth treating critically, if your target is developed country standards of living. It reminds me of the crappy nonsense American politicians like to say about making us "self-sufficient in oil." This plays well in any election even though everyone knows that it's utter nonsense and will never happen. How about maintaining good relations with other countries and paying fair prices for things, instead of seeking an artificial "national" self-sufficiency?

Or maybe we should make the state of New York self-sufficient in oil, food, etc. and stop trading with the rest of the world. That'll do our economy a world of good.

To add icing to the cake, ARIN's Curran agrees with a protectionist trade policy - which would be disastrous if taken very far - because it suits his very short term and narrow agenda of justifying ARIN's centralized control of internet resources. Talk about a tail wagging a dog....

--MM

     governance at lists.cpsr.org