Competition ? Re: [governance] is icann ...

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Mon Sep 21 13:14:22 EDT 2009

Dear Avri
>> What I am all ears is about concrete proposals of multistakeholders
>> governance within
>> the new DNS classes,
>
> first someone has to figure out if new DNS classes are practical or
> even fully technically possible as the protocols currently stand.

except for some fields like the CNAME that you mentioned at the
workshop, almost everything is in the RFCs
> from my investigations it looks like any such efforts would take many
> years of technical protocol work and standards efforts as well as
> private network testing
experimentation should come first, as I always said
> to determine whether they could be introduced without risking network
> instability.
I do not understand what you mean by network instability ?
You meant service instability ?
There are just independant yet interoperable naming services.
If one breaks down, how it should affect others ?

ICANN in 2001 recommended the use of /classes/.... as I repeatdly said
in my presentations...

http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/stockholm/unique-root-draft.htm

/Moreover, it should be noted that the original design of the DNS
provides a facility for future extensions that accommodates the
possibility of safely deploying multiple roots on the public Internet
for experimental and other purposes. As noted in RFC 1034
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1034.txt>, the DNS includes a "class"
tag on each resource record, which allows resource records of different
classes to be distinguished even though they are commingled on the
public Internet. For resource records within the standard root-server
system, this class tag is set to "IN"; other values have been
standardized for particular uses, including 255 possible values
designated for "private use" that are particularly suited to
experimentation.^11
<http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/stockholm/unique-root-draft.htm#fn11> /

/As described in a recent proposal within the IETF,^12
<http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/stockholm/unique-root-draft.htm#fn12>
this "class" facility allows an alternative DNS namespace to be operated
from different root servers in a manner that does not interfere with the
stable operation of the existing authoritative root-server system. Those
that have deployed alternative roots have not used a different class
designation, however, choosing instead to have their resource records
masquerade as emanating from the standard root, and creating the
potential for disruption of other's operations./

/In an ever-evolving Internet, ultimately there may be better
architectures for getting the job done wherethe need for a single,
authoritative root is not an issue. But that is not the case today. And
the transition to such an architecture, should it emerge, would require
community-based approaches. In the interim, responsible experimentation
should be encouraged, but it should not be done in a manner that affects
those who do not consent after being informed of the character of the
experiment./

/
/I  feel encouraged... ;-)
Could you comment on the 2001 ICANN statement ?

One may also note in this paper that is underlined that

*Competition as a Value Guiding the Internet's Technical Management
*
I share this value....
> i think work on governance of such schemes might be somewhat premature
> - maybe even a decade premature.
This is the essence of research is not of being mature,  it is about
looking beyond tomorrow...
and it might come sooner than expected... who knows ?
there are many factors coming into play

We might argue about the probabilities, but
the stakes are so high, that disregarding this  possibility
would be unwise.

Best

Francis

> a.
>
> .

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

KNIS http://knis.org
Academic Collaboration / University of Geneva
http://syinf.unige.ch/recherche/cooperation

Mobile France       +33 6 71 91 42 10
       Switzerland  +41 78 927 06 97
       Cameroun    +237 96 55 69 62 ( mostly in July )

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web