Competition ? Re: [governance] is icann ...

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Sep 21 15:08:46 EDT 2009

On 21 Sep 2009, at 13:14, Dr. Francis MUGUET wrote:

> except for some fields like the CNAME that you mentioned at the
> workshop,

this is not just any old field but an essential feature, a resource
record type that, until and unless it is changed makes the entire
project unworkable as the namespaces will leak into each other.  Even
if  you intend your new Class not to use it, the fact that in can be
used means that the namespaces can't be isolated from each other -
hence putting us back in need of a single global name space.   i.e.
right back were we are now.

> almost everything is in the RFCs

not by a long shot.

two things that immediately come to mind are a well formed definition
of these Classes and a well formed URI scheme for naming your new
services/objects so that apps, apps that would need to be modified,
can use the new namespace.

and things in the RFC that have not yet been implemented and tried may
or may not work.

and how many DNS implementations would need to be updated?

as for http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/stockholm/unique-root-draft.htm

The problem here is that was just an assumption, but when people
started looking at doing it, they started to find all the reasons why
it would be very difficult.

my prediction is still that even if you can get the resources and
talent to do all the necessary research work and if it is indeed
doable, which won't be known until some ways down the road, I still
predict a decade is the shortest time before deployment - and possibly
2 decades before it might see wide spread use - if it proves to be
feasible at all. I admit this is slightly better then the infinite
time prediction I gave you on first hearing the proposal (the last
thing I predicted infinite time on was IPv6 and yeah, maybe i was
wrong on that.  maybe.)  as i said, i love seeing people find clever
uses for unused protocol features, but one must be realistic about the
effort involved in making it work and deployment.  i think there is
some cleverness in the proposal but the road to deployment is really
really difficult and very very long.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org