[governance] Letter to Rod Beckstrom

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Sep 21 06:35:13 EDT 2009

>In the long run, I think, a de-nationalized system of governance would
>have to re-invent many of the governmental wheels that were thrown
>overboard at the outset.

Jeanette:
Precisely. These rights and procedures have to be reinvented or translated into the transnational sphere. And what's wrong with that?

Thrown overboard? In transnational communicative action there ARE no procedural achievements of nation-states - or at least I will hold to that thesis until you can provide me with an example of one.

At any rate let's not forget that some of the most valuable procedural and legal checks we are talking about are checks on _states_ not just private actors. Political economists have long exploded the myth that political institutions are somehow purely devoted to public interest and magically transforms the mystical will of "the people" into action. States often actuate and reflect dominant private interests.

--MM

     governance at lists.cpsr.org